Ogrum "Ironheart"

Discovering the main focal points in a miniature is vital, as they are the spots which will attract our attention immediately at a first glance to the model, so we have to work on them thoroughly. In my opinion, focal points in this miniature modeled by Alfonso Girald├ęs are both the face, same as in most of the existing models and also the mechanical arm, due to the position of the figure in the base. Therefore, my work focused mainly on those two areas.


I wanted to give the mechanical arm an aged look, as if it had participated in multiple battles. For this, I created an effect of erosion in all parts supposed to be mechanical. Those effects are performed after regular lighting and shading. All of them are done with brush technique. Some of these effects could have been created with Maskol or similar products, but I prefer the brush method because although it is more complex and slow, it is more accurate. With it, I can control all the effects I want to achieve. It is simply a matter of choosing the right color tone taking into consideration the base tone of the piece we want to wear out. In this case, as the figure has mainly light colors I chose a mixture of Scorched brown by Citadel with Dark earth by Vallejo, which provides the perfect contrast. However, options for this kind of mixtures are almost endless. This technique requires patience, as it involves drawing small irregular marks, never rounded, with a very sharp paintbrush, not necessarily a small one. The small chipped traces must be completed with very thin lines that simulate scratches. It is really common that chipped painting, if not planned beforehand, has a regular general effect, as we tend to make all traces look similar. The key is to alternate their direction, size and shape. You have to take into account as well that these traces occur in contact areas and many times they will cover the shape of light we were planning on doing. To solve this, I apply a final layer of a very saturated tone before starting the erosion process. As a complement to chipped traces you can create rust effects such as stains or spurts in some areas. Smoke color by Vallejo is perfect for this purpose, because it provides a glossy touch simulating grease. Other tones close to Vermin Brown or Vomit Brown by Citadel also work perfectly well.
I didn't want to create too much contrast in the face, as I didn't want to emphasize huge features of the mini, such as cheeks. For this I didn't use too many tones of shades and almost the whole skin surface has mid-tones and lightness, also combining with magenta, orange and purple colors. Both incipient hair and beard were painted adding Olive brown by Vallejo to the mixture used for the face.
T-shirt is another important feature of this figure, so I tried to simulate a light transparency effect caused by sweat. To achieve this, after the lighting and shading process I veiled the areas chosen with a really thin layer of the mixture used for the skin, to which I added German Orange by Vallejo. As you can observe, this effect is not present in some of the T-shirt wrinkles, as those have more quantity of cloth and consequently transparencies are not visible. After veiling, we'll lighten those wrinkles.
I wanted the base to have a very realistic aspect, because when working at 70 mm. big scale any other treatment would have seemed unreal. For the wall I recycled a piece of plaster, texturized it with a steel brush and added some smaller pieces of rubble. For the painting I used a base in acrylic and afterwards I worked with oil. Method to be used is very easy, it consists of placing small portions of oil in different areas and then dissolve them with White Spirit until you get the desired effect. Land was formed by different color pigments that I mixed with a dry brush. When you reach the desired result, you need to wet the areas with White Spirit to fix them. You can also airbrush some areas to unify tones or give a spark of light, as I did in the lightest parts of the base. I also stained a bit the boots with pigments to integrate the miniature with the base so that they didn't look like two separate elements. Final result is obvious.